We try and make things simple.
Here’s a quick summary of the main things you need to know:
What do the rates include with Buzzy Rentals?
The rates include insurance (excess $1000 for vans, $1500 for trucks). All prices quoted include GST
Please make sure you give us all the required information so we can accurately quote your requested hire.
Does the insurance cover windscreen damage?
Windscreen damage is indeed covered in the insurance.
Does the insurance cover wheel and tyre damage?
It is not possible to insure against tyre or wheel damage.
Does Buzzy offer zero excess for the vehicle?
Unfortunately we do not.
Can I take my Buzzy vehicle anywhere?
Yes – except for those few places where you can’t take it!
Those places include any beach including Ninety Mile Beach, any road north of Colville (Coromandel Peninsula) SOUTH ISLAND Skippers Road (in Central Otago), Ball Hut Road (Mt Cook), Crown Range Road (Queenstown), Highway 89 and any unformed road or off road.
Can I take my Buzzy vehicle across Cook Strait?
Yes – so long as you’re using the car ferry!
Are Buzzy Rental vehicles manuals or automatics?
Our cars are automatics. Some of the vans and trucks are manual – please check with us at the time of booking.
What do I need to show you when I collect my Buzzy vehicle?
All hirers must have a valid and current driver’s licence and be over 21 years. A FULL licence is required. Maximum age is 70 years. (Sorry – our insurance company specifies this) We may also need a valid credit card, for vehicle security.
I have an overseas licence – is that ok?
Yes, almost certainly. New Zealand has reciprocal license acceptance arrangements with most other countries. If your licence is not written in English, you will also need an authentic English translation of it – if you are stopped on the roads by the Police for whatever reason, they will require that translation. If you are in any doubt, an International Driving Permit completed in the English language is universal.
How many drivers can we have for our Buzzy rental vehicle?
Within reason, we don’t put a limit on the number of drivers. Please keep in mind that rental staff are required to sight each drivers’ licence, so adding drivers later may not be so easy.
What is the minimum driver age? 21
How and when do I pay for the hire?
Payment is made prior to the commencement of the hire. We accept EFTPOS and credit cards (Visa and Mastercard).
Do I have to pay a bond or deposit?
Yes. A bond is required at the time of booking. This is used as security and confirming your booking. This needs to paid via Credit Card or Bank transfer and is fully refunded at the end of booking (unless required for fuel, mileage or damage). Bond amount varies between vehicle category and the hirer will be advised at the time of booking.
I don’t have a credit card – can I still rent a Buzzy vehicle?
Yes, but we’ll need a security deposit.
I don’t have a credit card – can I use someone else’s card?
We know that Buzzy customers are honest folk! What you’ll need to do is have the owner of the card you’re using sign a credit card authorisation form for us to use that card – and we’ll also need another form of that persons ID, so as we’re all protected.
May I have a receipt?
Of course! All Buzzy customers will have a rental contract, which is numbered and doubles as a tax receipt. We will also give you a copy of any transaction that is processed through the EFTPOS terminal.
Can I smoke in the vehicle?
NO! NO! NO! If you smoke in the vehicle, it will need treatment before we can hire it again. The cost can be hundreds of dollars, which you are responsible for paying. Our cleaning fee is $200.
Do I bring the vehicle back full of petrol?
Yes, you’ll usually receive a Buzzy rental with a full tank of gas, and we’ll expect you back with a full tank, ready for the next Buzzy customer.
Can I return my Buzzy vehicle early? Will there be a refund?
If the vehicle is returned early for any reason we may be able to refund the unused portion
May I extend the hire?
We cannot guarantee that this will be possible but we will, of course, do our best to make it happen.
If you are late returning the vehicle to us, please stay in touch with us – the vehicle may be needed by the next Buzzy renter. Charges may occur for late drop offs.
I need to cancel my booking – what do I do? Will there be any charges?
Let’s be clear on this! We don’t want to charge Buzzy customers sums of money that they receive nothing in return for! The following are guidelines that are in place to protect our business.
Cancelled up to 7+ days prior to pickup date: full refund of deposit paid.
Cancelled within 24 hours – we will probably keep your deposit. No refund sorry.
If vehicle is returned early for any reason whatsoever No refund available unless there are reasonable circumstances.
When taking possession of your rental vehicle, each hirer is presented with a rental agreement. without notice although we do not anticipate the spirit of the Agreement to change.Vehicle description and term of hire
1. Buzzy Rentals (“the Operator”) will rent and the Hirer will take the motor vehicle (“the Vehicle”), for the term of hire as described in the agreement (“the Agreement” being the rental vehicle agreement document presented to the hirer at the commencement of the hire).
2. Persons who may drive the vehicle The Vehicle may be driven during the term of hire only by the persons named or described in the Agreement and only if each person holds a current full driver’s licence appropriate for the class of vehicle in the Agreement. The licence details are recorded in the agreement alongside each person’s name and address.Payments by hirer
3. The Hirer shall pay the Operator for the hire of the Vehicle the sum or sums specified in the Agreement.
4. In addition to the payment specified in clause 3, the Hirer acknowledges that s/he shall be liable at the end of the hire period to pay the Operator any applicable additional charges payable at the end of the term. These include charges for additional distance driven, fuel, RUC, late return, damage to or repair of the Vehicle (subject to the other terms of this agreement), any enforcement charges relating to such damage or repairs (including legal costs), traffic fines or infringement fees (see clauses 20 to 23) and the administration costs relating to these fines and fees, and toll road charges. The Operator will deduct such charges from the Hirer’s credit card during or after the term of hire is competed, or the hirer may pay such charges as agreed with the Operator, such choice to be at the Operator’s sole discretion.Use of the vehicle
5. The Hirer shall not:
6. The Hirer shall ensure that:
7. The Operator shall supply the vehicle in a safe and road worthy condition, up to current Certificate of Fitness standards.Mechanical repairs and accidents
8. If the Vehicle is involved in an accident, is damaged, breaks down or requires repair or salvage, regardless of cause, the Hirer shall notify the Operator of the full circumstances immediately.
9. The Hirer shall not arrange or undertake any repairs or salvage without the Operator’s authority except to the extent that repairs or salvage are necessary to prevent further damage to the Vehicle or to other property.
10. Should the Vehicle require repair or replacement for mechanical reasons the Operator shall at his/her discretion endeavour to effect a repair or to replace the Vehicle. In the event that an accident renders the Vehicle unroadworthy, the Operator shall not be responsible for the cost of transporting the vehicle, the Hirer or any accompanying passengers away from the accident location or be responsible for any accommodation costs. The Operator will make no refund of unused hire period.Return of vehicle
11. The Hirer shall, at or before the expiry of the term of hire, deliver the Vehicle to the Operator or to the Operator’s agent’s place of business as shown on the front of the agreement, or obtain the Operator’s consent to the continuation of the hire (in which case the hirer shall pay additional hire charges for the extended term of hire). If the Hirer does not comply with this clause 11, the Hirer shall be liable for charges for the late return of the vehicle.Liability
12. The Hirer is liable for:
13. The Operator’s rental fleet is insured under a policy by a motor vehicle insurer (“the Policy”) licensed to carry on insurance business in New Zealand under the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act 2010. Under the Policy every person named in this Agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle, subject to Clauses 15 and 18, are covered against losses set out in Clause 12.
The Operator is not providing insurance services to the Hirer. The Operator manages the insurance provided under the Policy. The Operator reserves the right to determine whether or not to claim under the Policy. In the event of damage to the Vehicle, the Hirer agrees to immediately contact, and solely deal with, the Operator.
14. The Hirer can make his/her own insurance arrangements, provided that the Operator is satisfied that the Hirer’s insurance is comparable to the cover under the Policy.
15. If the Hirer elects to make his/her own insurance arrangements in accordance with Clause 14 the Hirer must pay a contribution equal to or more than the Operator’s Total Excess under the Operators Policy (the Excess Contribution).
16. If the hirer elects to use the Operator’s insurance, any driver named in the Agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle is, subject to clause 17 and the excess payable by the Hirer as set out in clause 16, covered against the losses set out in clause 12.
17. The Excess payable by the Hirer is $1000 (Vans & Cars) or $15000 (Trucks) for damage to, or accidents involving, the Vehicle. An additional premium for liability reduction may be offered at the discretion of the Operator. A second amount may be offered to further cover damage to the Vehicle windscreen, at the discretion of the Operator.
18. The Operator may require the Hirer agree to pay a bond at the start of the hire. If loss occurs under clause 12, it may be deducted to the value of the loss or used to contribute to the Excess Contribution or Total Excess, whichever applies. The bond will otherwise be refunded in full following the safe return of the Vehicle, in the same condition that it was hired in, and after allowing a reasonable time for traffic offence notices to come to the attention of the Operator.Insurance exclusions
19. The Hirer acknowledges that the cover referred to in clause 14 will not apply at any time when:
20. The Hirer is liable for an offence committed during the period of hire where the offence:
21. The Hirer agrees to pay any infringement fee and costs that may become payable because of an infringement notice served on the Operator for any of the offences set out in clause 20(a) to (c), and authorises the Operator to debit the Hirer’s credit card with such infringement fee and costs, including a minimum administration charge of $20 per infringement notice received or, in lieu of a credit card, to deduct such amounts from the bond held.
22. If the Operator receives an infringement notice for a particular offence, or only receives a reminder notice for a particular offence, the Operator will send the hirer a copy of the notice and the rental service agreement within 5 working days, and:
23. The Hirer has the right to challenge, complain about, query or object to the alleged offence to the issuing enforcement authority, and the right to seek a court hearing (within 56 days from the date of issue of the infringement notice or 28 days from the date of issue of the reminder notice).Cancellation of Hire Agreement
24. The Operator shall have the right to terminate the hire and take immediate possession of the Vehicle should the Hirer fail to comply with any of the terms of the Agreement, or if the vehicle is damaged, breaks down, requires repair or appears abandoned. Automatic termination shall occur should the Vehicle not be returned by the due time and date without prior notice and authority, or should it become evident that the Vehicle has been hired by misrepresentation, fraudulently or for illegal purposes. The termination of the hire under this clause shall be without prejudice to the other rights of the Operator or the rights of the Hirer under the Agreement or otherwise. The Hirer will be liable for damage found during the termination or subsequent inspection of the Vehicle.
25. In the event of termination of the Agreement for any reason, the Hirer agrees to immediately return the Vehicle to the return point arranged on the Agreement, and agrees that he or she may not be entitled to any refund for unused services.
We do not attempt to identify users or their browsing activities unless they choose to give us personal information.
If you visit our website to read or download information, we automatically record some non-personal information in a log file, for example: